The Final Fantasy VIII Ultimania is a book about Final Fantasy VIII originally published in Japan by DigiCube in 1999, and re-released by Square Enix in 2006. The book is generally spoiler-free, and has no pictures of Griever or Ultimecia, who are simply referred to as “Last Boss”.
Edited by Studio BentStuff
1 – 世界观与角色
– Features political and geographic maps, profiles of major and minor characters, character event maps, town information, a keyword guide, and descriptions of vehicles in the game.
2 – 战斗
– Describes the battle system of Final Fantasy VIII, such as the ATB system, elements, status, and Limit Breaks.
3 – 召唤
– Explains the Junction System, profiles of Guardian Forces, magic, a hidden Draw Point map, command abilities, support abilities, and refining.
4 – 物品
– Showcases every obtainable item in the game, and has further information about item refinery. Also covered is gil, shops, and weapons.
5 – 卡片
– This chapter focuses on Triple Triad. Rules and playing styles are covered, and gives several examples of different game scenarios. There is a catalog of every obtainable card, and every person that can be challenged to a game, including the Queen of Cards and Card Club sidequests.
6 – 怪物
– A complete bestiary of monsters and bosses encountered in the game, excluding the final bosses.
7 – 剧情
– A brief walkthrough of the storyline, with diary-like entries from the characters. Also takes players through sidestories.
8 – 陆行鸟
– Walks through the Chocobo Forests and the Chocobo World minigame.
9 – 秘密
– This chapter shows players 111 secrets from the game, such as achieving SeeD Rank A, the Library Girl with a Pigtail, and PuPu sidequests, where to find Timber Maniacs, etc.
10 – 地图
– Shows all the field background images (not battle screen or World Map images) and their connections, hidden items, and interactive parts.